FRIDAY, Feb. 4, 2022 (HealthDay Information) — Earlier than your eyes grow to be glued to the Tremendous Bowl or the Winter Olympics, make certain your TV and furnishings are anchored to the wall to guard little ones from doubtlessly lethal tip-overs.
Between 2018 and 2020, a mean of twenty-two,500 People a yr required emergency division remedy for tip-over accidents, and practically 44% have been below 18, in response to the U.S. Client Product Security Fee (CPSC).
Since 2000, there have been practically 600 tip-over deaths involving furnishings, TVs or home equipment, and 81% of these victims have been youngsters 17 and youthful.
“Individuals both do not know in regards to the dangers, or they suppose it might probably’t occur when an grownup is close by,” mentioned CPSC Chair Alex Hoehn-Saric.
In accordance with the brand new CPSC report, 71% of all youngster deaths concerned a TV; 62% of deaths in all age teams concerned a TV; 55% of deaths concerned individuals being crushed; and 66% of deaths resulted from head accidents.
In 2015, CPSC launched a marketing campaign known as AnchorIt! to teach People in regards to the risks of tip-overs. Between 2011 and 2020, there was a 55% lower in tip-over accidents handled in U.S. emergency rooms, largely as a consequence of fewer TV tip-overs.
“We’re happy to see the lower in tip-over accidents over time,” Hoehn-Saric mentioned in a fee information launch.
Safety is cheap and simple to put in, he mentioned.
“Most anti-tip-over kits price lower than $20 and could be put in in fewer than 20 minutes,” Hoehn-Saric mentioned. “We urge dad and mom and caregivers to guard their youngsters and households and make the time to safe heavy objects of their houses.”
The CPSC affords these solutions:
- Anchor TVs and furnishings equivalent to bookcases and dressers securely to the wall.
- TVs needs to be on a sturdy, low base and positioned again so far as attainable, notably if they can not be anchored.
- Do not show or retailer objects equivalent to toys and remotes the place youngsters could also be tempted to climb to achieve for them.
- Retailer heavier objects on decrease cabinets or in decrease drawers.
- Whenever you purchase a brand new TV, take into account recycling your previous one. If you happen to transfer the older TV to a different room, make certain it’s anchored to the wall correctly.
- Maintain TV and cable cords out of kids’s attain.
- Even when TVs and furnishings are anchored, youngsters ought to nonetheless be supervised by an grownup.
Protected Children Worldwide has extra about stopping tip-over tragedies.
SOURCE: U.S. Client Product Security Fee, information launch, Feb. 3, 2022